Photo of the Day

Photo of the Day
Baby's Nursery

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Typography

How have I not talked about one of my favorite topics yet? Typography is a favorite decorating tool of mine. Here is the definition of typography:  "Is the art and technique of arranging type. The arrangement of type involves the selection of typefaces, point size, line length, leading (line spacing), adjusting the spaces between groups of letters (tracking) and adjusting the space between pairs of letters (kerning). Type design is a closely related craft, which some consider distinct and others a part of typography. Typography is performed by typesetters, compositors, typographers, graphic designers, art directors, comic book artists, graffiti artists, clerical workers, and anyone else who arranges type for a product. Until the Digital Age, typography was a specialized occupation. Digitization opened up typography to new generations of visual designers and lay users.

Above, is a poster I had made for my friend's wedding that shows a number of different fonts. I love the way the whole look comes together to create a piece of art! I also love to collect different sized letters made from wood or metal and create a statement with them. If you look at my post about bedside tables, you'll see my massive letter M sitting on my table. Over my tv, that is hung about my fireplace, I have the word home, in uppercase bold letters. I also use the art of typography in some wall quotes in my mud room and kitchen.
If you google typography, you'll see an array  of ideas and inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment