Photo of the Day

Photo of the Day
Baby's Nursery

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Using old corbels in new ways!

I love taking pieces, like corbels, that were used for a specific design aesthetic and come up with different ways of using them! I love old, distressed pieces of wood and corbels are no exception. Corbels were traditionally used on Victorian homes to add a flourish to their porches. They were sometimes used as a decorative support under windows as well.
Being that they were mostly used outside, I first wanted to find use for them inside! The above photo shows them being used for open shelving in a kitchen. I love the idea from my picture of the day, to incorporate them into a doorway. Restoration Hardware is now showing a corbel desk. I have also used them as bookends. They make great ledges to put a pillar candle on or simple use them as a decorative piece on an accent table...the possibilities are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment